Friday, October 29, 2010

Jon's (Hays) thoughts on Clinic work

After several weeks of scheduling issues between our Summit group, and the Kitchen, Inc, I finally had my first visit to the clinic. Being an Architecture student, going into a clinic to do "clinical" work seems a bit weird, such as not having any experience working in a clinic. My job for my visit to the clinic today (and most likely from here on out) was to admit patients waiting in the main lobby, into one of five rooms. Being a clinic for the poor and needy, it's safe to say that I saw a wide range of people, from people off the streets, to people just having a stroke of bad luck.

When I first arrived to the clinic around 9:00 AM, I was shuffled around from office to office while the staff tried to decide where to have me work. This was more of my fault for not having visited the clinic before, although it didn't help that our "advisor" Alison was out of the office for the day. By the time we had everything figured out for where I needed to be, I was just in time for a patient "rush". This of course isn't the best time to train a volunteer, but after about four "shadows" of an experienced staff member, they turned me loose. The job was fairly simple, and kept me busy during my entire two and half hours I was scheduled.

Over all, it wasn't too bad. By the next time I visit, I'll be able to be that much more useful to the staff, because at least I'll know what to do. The hardest part is remembering all of the numerous "health" questions that I needed to ask each patient - which, I'll admit, wasn't hard once I got the hang of it. In total, I probably admitted fifteen patients into the Kitchen clinic, and of course filled out the forms that went along with it. Everyone at the clinic was extremely friendly and helpful making the experience that much better - and I'm sure that's why such a large majority of people come there everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment