Friday, October 29, 2010

Finding the Time that was Never Actually Lost

Besides the title sounding amazing, there is actually a reason that this post was named so.  The reason is that now, 2 months into the school year, I finally have gotten my class scheduled finalized and have been able to plan my time around two main things: studying and community service.
 Working at the Kitchen Clinic has exposed not only me, but our entire group to what exactly goes into running a medical facility. My first day I spent four hours rooming patients and gathering basic medical information and I even did some basic lab procedures (see chemistry lab is applicable in real life) and the second time I was there, I was a front office aid. I did it all from sorting packing slips from drug manufacturers to taking phone messages and I got to learn how to operate the scheduling database for appointments. It was just kinda eye opening how much extra work goes into making it function on a day to day basis.
A funny side note, one day while talking to the staffing doctors, Waffle House got brought up. One of the docs then started talking about how difficult it would be to work at a Waffle House because the "language" the cooks use when calling out orders in short hand. A man that has spent over six years in post graduate education thinks working at Waffle House is difficult. It was just interesting to me to hear that but it made me think that the people at Waffle House probably think the same thing about working at a medical facility, so I guess it all comes down to what you are used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment